Owner of Kewanna gas station speaks out after Saturday's robbery

The owner of the Countrymark gas station that was robbed in Kewanna Saturday is speaking out, as the investigation on the culprit continues.


In the eight years owners Terry and Kathy Hobbs have operated the gas station, this is the first time anything like this has happened. The Hobbs also hope it's the last. 


The incident was reported to the Fulton County Sheriff's Department just before 8:30 p.m. on Saturday.  A masked man entered the store with a handgun. The suspect demanded the attendant get on the floor as he looked around for cash. Less than five minutes later Hobbs said the suspect left the gas station with an undisclosed amount of cash.  He drove north on State Road 17 in a maroon truck.


Watching the cameras after the ordeal was over, Hobbs said the clerk did as she was trained to do in case of a robbery. Although scary, no injuries were reported, leaving Hobbs thankful the only thing lost was money, and not the life of her employee. 



One thing Hobbs does know is that the culprit knew the routine of the store before commiting the robbery. Never allowing her employees to close alone for safety precautions, Hobbs said the suspect seemed to be aware of that as well, choosing the slowest time of the evening to commit the crime. Prior to the robbery the suspect watched the store, waiting 10 minutes after the last customer left to enter the gas station. Knowing his way around the store, the robber helped himself to the money, knowing exactly where everything was.



UPDATE: Although not official on whether it's related, the Pulaski County Sheriff's Department responded to a call January 24 about a break-in, after a resident arrived home to find a masked man inside of her home. The victim reported that the suspect had quickly fled the scene, leaving with some of her items in a red pickup truck.


Upon locating the vehicle, Deputies attempted to stop the driver. After a pursuit through the Winamac area, the chase ended near Braun Corporation, where the suspect then continue to flee on foot. Deputies gave chase, ultimately leading to the suspects arrest. Due to the ongoing investigation, names are currently being withheld.  


Anyone with more information on the crime is asked to call Detective Sgt. Matt Utter of the Fulton County Sheriff Department at 574-223-2819, or report to Crime Stoppers at 573-223-7867.